Dallas Beeler Starting For Chicago Cubs

Old Titan

Former ORU star and Jenks High School alum Dallas Beeler has been called up by the Chicago Cubs, and will get his first MLB start of the season in the second game of a doubleheader with St. Louis today.

Beeler was 0-2 with a 3.27 ERA in 11 innings over two starts for the Cubs last season, and is 1-5 for Triple-A Iowa this season with a 6.33 ERA (yikes) in 13 starts.

Dallas has an outstanding start; leaves in the 6th with runners on the corners and the Cubs leading 1-0, but ends up with a no-decision in a 5-3 Cubs win.

Final line:  5+ innings, 4 hits, 2 runs*, 6 K's, 2 BB (and a double of his own in the 3rd!)

*Somebody please explain something to this old official scorer:  leading by a score of 1-0, Beeler faces two batters in the 6th - Carpenter walks to lead off, and Peralta singles him over to 3rd with no outs. 

So, Beeler's responsible for those 2 runners when he exits the game at that point.  Russell comes on to pitch for the Cubs, coaxes Heyward into a ground ball that scores Carpenter to tie the game, but forces Peralta at second, leaving Heyward at first with one away. 

Beeler loses his lead with the game now tied at 1-1, and Carpenter's run goes against him in the book, but he should be off the hook for any further damage to the ol' ERA since Peralta is erased, right? 

I mean, Heyward should be Russell's responsibility in the scorebook when he eventually comes around to score later in the inning to make it 2-1 Cards, right?

So, can someone please tell me why the official box score shows Beeler giving up TWO runs, and Russell NONE?

ORUBlue82, what am I missing here?

That's why it's called FIELDER'S choice.

Peralta was put out, but because of a choice of the fielder to take the leading runner over the batter.  As a result, the fielder was benefiting Beeler, by not allowing the runner he placed on base to advance - but the batter now takes Peralta's place at first, and is still Beeler's responsibility.  If Peralta had been picked off or caught stealing, Beeler is off the hook, but a fielder's choice doesn't eliminate the runner.

While it still may not make sense - look at it from the reliever's perspective.  He comes in and does his job - inducing a ground ball for an out.  Should HE now be responsible for the runner at first?

MLB scoring rule 10.16(g) - and NO, I don't have it memorized... I googled it. :nerd:

HUMMMM.....that is a strange one....I get it but TheEagleman thinks that rule ought to be changed....just seems to make more sense the way OT explained it.....Apparently, Beeler was just up from AAA for one game as MLB allows teams to bring up a 26th player to pitch the 2nd game when a DH is being played....so he  gets sent back down today unless somebody else got hurt and the Cubs send another player back..... :nerd:

That's why it's called FIELDER'S choice.

Peralta was put out, but because of a choice of the fielder to take the leading runner over the batter.  As a result, the fielder was benefiting Beeler, by not allowing the runner he placed on base to advance - but the batter now takes Peralta's place at first, and is still Beeler's responsibility.  If Peralta had been picked off or caught stealing, Beeler is off the hook, but a fielder's choice doesn't eliminate the runner.

While it still may not make sense - look at it from the reliever's perspective.  He comes in and does his job - inducing a ground ball for an out.  Should HE now be responsible for the runner at first?

MLB scoring rule 10.16(g) - and NO, I don't have it memorized... I googled it. :nerd:

OUTSTANDING!  I knew you would have the answer!

That's why you kept the book and I ran the scoreboard during our time.  There's no telling how badly I screwed up the official scoring my senior year after you graduated - all ORU Baseball records from 1984 should be summarily suspect because of it!  :razz: