Titan Basketball "30 For 30"?

Old Titan

Was it in a thread on this forum, or on Twitter itself, that I saw a couple of Twitter posts a few weeks back between an ESPN producer and director re: a "30 For 30" documentary on ORU basketball in the '70's?

I want to pass that info on to Ken Trickey's daughter and son, who have expressed an interest to me of late on any projects involving their dad and those teams, and who would be invaluable sources of background information.

Can anyone help me with where I saw that tidbit?

here it is OT.......an editor at the Dallas Morning News reaching out to the guy that made "Pony Exce$$" and "The Boz"  30-for30's

@thadfilms Thad, I had an idea on a 30 for 30. Oral Roberts University basketball in the early 1970s.

— Tommy Cummings (@tommycummings)

March 20, 2015

here it is OT.......an editor at the Dallas Morning News reaching out to the guy that made "Pony Exce$$" and "The Boz"  30-for30's

That's it - thank you. sir!

i though that would make a great topic too

Couldn't disagree more.

I see no way Oral or ORU comes out looking good in such a bio.

But, if it's going to happen, I wanted the Trickey family involved to set the record straight and limit the damage.

Agreed, OT.  While it would be a blast to be recognized for the "we run and gun" era, any documentary would also go further into the Trickey DUI, probation in the late seventies and the eventual drop to NAIA.  It wouldn't end pretty. 

Every program has it's "Dark Ages", but we've had a great resurgence since that time. Granted it's not to the same level of previous prominence, their is no reason they wouldn't highlight what Mike Carter, the coaches, and staff have done to bring ORU back to a very respectable program to be reckoned with. I'm not sure @ThadFilms would even be interested since his documentary: "The Pony Express" on the SMU football program is a pretty similar story of a Christian University's rise and fall and "somewhat" rise again in D1 athletics. 

Every program has it's "Dark Ages", but we've had a great resurgence since that time. Granted it's not to the same level of previous prominence, their is no reason they wouldn't highlight what Mike Carter, the coaches, and staff have done to bring ORU back to a very respectable program to be reckoned with. I'm not sure @ThadFilms would even be interested since his documentary: "The Pony Express" on the SMU football program is a pretty similar story of a Christian University's rise and fall and "somewhat" rise again in D1 athletics. 

That just ain't the way they would do it.

It would go something like this:

1.  Meteroic rise out of nowhere for program and school, going from non D-1 in 1969 to Elite Eight in 1974, with flashy style and players.

2.  Equally spectacular fall of program and school, starting with Trickey's DUI and subsequent departure, Lake Kelly's NCAA probation 4 years later, culminating in Oral's problems with the City Of Faith and the "God is going to call me home" sojourn in the Prayer Tower.

And that's where it would end, with some sort of dismissive "and-they-never-reached-the-same-heights-again" epilogue.  It's your basic Story Arc, direct from Creative Writing 101 class...

o t i had that thought in the back of my mind that they would bring up all the neg stuff but there is the good part of the story too