Changes to ORU Student Life

SOLO_Gold

From the ORU Facebook Page:

Oral Roberts University is excited to present changes to student residential life beginning in Fall 2015, which have just been approved by the Board of Trustees. These changes were brought to the Board after feedback from the student body and will be implemented to improve the student life at the University. The changes that were announced Friday in Chapel include:

Room Cost Decrease

-Room cost for a double occupancy room is being reduced by 15%.

Co-ed Residence Hall Visitation

-Co-ed residence hall visitation will take place weekly.

-Visit times will continue to be conducted with the utmost -integrity. (i.e. open doors, supervised check-in, etc.)

Curfew

-Curfew for all residential freshmen students will be 1:00 a.m. every day.

-Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors will not subject to a curfew time.

-A curfew for Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors may be instated if they have academic or disciplinary challenges.

Oral Roberts University is committed to providing a safe and vibrant campus life. Along with these changes, we are reinforcing the concepts of personal safety and wellness, respect for the community and conduct that is reflective of the vision and mission of ORU. We are looking forward to an exciting Fall as we implement these changes and begin the 50th anniversary of the University!

Exciting changes were announced today to improve student life! See details on our Facebook page https://t.co/ciGg1438o5

— Oral Roberts U (@OralRobertsU)

March 28, 2015

positive changes that should help with the recruiting of students.  the next step would be to grow the enrollment to the point where off campus living is more of an option for upperclassmen.

i wonder if the trustees will ever tackle dropping the word Oral from the name and just going with Roberts University.  i'm sure there would be some push back from older alumni, but it needs to happen.

All our chants at sporting events would have to change to RU, RU. It just wouldn't be the same...

SERIOUSLY!!! Why???

i once heard OR say that it was never his intention to name the school after himself, but that his board demanded it because it would be his name recognition that would get students to come and get the school noticed.

so why change it?

-Oral Roberts is not a household name anymore and it even has a strong negative connotation in segments of Christendom.

-let's be honest and just admit that having a slang word for a sexual act in your university name is not a plus when it comes to recruiting students who mostly have no clue who the founder was. 

• Upvote 1

That's a tough call...but I could understand it.....lots of alums around here got ticked when Philadelphia Biblical University changed it's name to Cairn U......but it just made some sense....I guess it could happen.... :|

Great points, Alum. And while you're at it you should go ahead and change the name of Austin Peay University to Austin University. After all, who needs a school names after a bodily function!! :smile:

TheEagleman surely understands the jokes that are made about the name of his beloved alma mater but I always felt it was like a badge of courage.....I actually like the name as is....ORAL ROBERTS UNIVERSITY.....it just has that ring to it....but I could understand now that OR has passed why they might wanna change it....still....I hope they never do....at least NOT in my lifetime.... :nerd:

Oral Roberts University has been in existence for 50 years. It was named after it's founder and should never be changed. To call it Roberts University or anything else is wrong. Oral Roberts was a Pentecostal preacher and the University he founded was and remains deeply rooted in the move of the Holy Spirit. When applying you should know that fact upfront. If you have a problem with that, go elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure how Cairn University is an improvement over Philedelphia Biblical University. Is that the best name they could come up with?

If you ever consider changing the name, the new name should be a lot better than Cairn. ORU has name recognition and that is worth something.

AMEN, 82!!!.....TheEagleman agrees.....not that my vote counts for anything.....yet you would hope if the Board ever did consider changing the name that they would consult with alumni of all eras..... :fubar:

Good to see the school take one step closer to joining the 20th century.

The reasons to change the university name are plentiful but there are a ton of reasons to keep it the same too. You shouldn't dismiss either idea as being ludicrous regardless of what side of the fence you're on. 

Reasons to keep it:

• Heritage 
  • Expensive to change 
  • Name recognition 
  • "ORU" in the state of Oklahoma fits in well with OSU and OU 

Reasons to change it:

• Name recognition 
  • Poor cultural association [insert joke about Morehead State and Oral Roberts meeting in the NCAA tournament]
  • Dental school? 
  • Reputation for caring more about spiritual emphasis than educational emphasis (this is a university after all) 

I say we keep it the same until it's clear that the university could grow and become more impactful with a name change. 

• Upvote 1

HEY, I like that idea!!

It's still named after Oral Roberts, even if it's Roberts University.

When you think about it, (Judge R.E.B.) Baylor University, (Edward & Mary Lucretia) Creighton University, and (Governor Leland) Stanford University, among others, seem to do just fine without their founders' first names in their title.

And, just think of the nickname it will take some young hotshot on ESPN about 5 minutes to come up with for Sportscenter highlights and scores:  "Two Bobs U.". :-D

...and Duke, Vanderbilt, etc...

OT said it better, i'm not saying you don't still honor the founder.  the university will be his greatest legacy, but words change over time. unfortunately Oral does not mean what it used to in popular culture.

your target audience (17 and 18 yr olds) knows the name Oral Roberts University from the bit on Family Guy and not because of the evangelist in the tent crusades of the 40s and 50s.