Shots fired at Eli

ORUalum

kudos to the Oracle sports section... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Golden Eagles... or Titans? @AfroBroRD talks about changing the ORU mascot. http://t.co/bt23YJ91oD

— Oracle Sports (@oruoraclesports)

March 28, 2015

Let’s face it, our mascot leaves a little to be desired. He’s juvenile, cartoonish and inferior to other mascots around the country. Any ORU student has asked themself at least one time, “Is that a chicken or an eagle?†A box of fried chicken would be more likely to intimidate an opponent.

“If we brought the Titans back, I would wear way more ORU stuff,†said ORU baseball player Anthony Sequiera. “Our mascot, Eli, is embarrassing.â€

Regardless of what changes can be made, one thing is clear. Students past, present and future should be able to show pride not only in their school, but in the mascot that represents them as well.

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman was not pleased when we switched from the Titans but at the time it made sense....and now Golden Eagles has grown on me....but yeah, we need a new updated mascot with a little more "bite".....time for a change....but how much would it cost to replace that huge logo at Mabee Center????.....and I agree with Sequiera...I don't wear anything from ORU with that "chicken" on it......ouch!.... :|

I may be in the minority but I like Eli. He may not look exactly like an eagle but I still like him. Perhaps they could streamline his look a little without losing his essence.

• Upvote 1

It is WAY beyond time for a rebranding of the Golden Eagle logo.

I think there is far too much sentiment at certain levels in Athletics to keep Eli the same simply for nostalgic reasons, ala the University of Kansas "walking Jayhawk".

But, THAT logo is an iconic image for a storied basketball program, and it at least denotes motion with it's forward-advancing stride.

In his present state, Eli is a static, standing figure who fails to emote, or inspire. 

He is, both literally and figuratively, frozen in time...

• 2 weeks later...

As a former Eli...I'd be sad to see him go, but nothing would make me happier than to have my alma mater transition away from a 90s cartoon character to a more modern, sleeker, fearsome Eagle w/ an overhaul on all the branding. I would be much more likely to buy ORU gear if it didn't look like a Looney Toons t-shirt from Disney World and/or big generic block lettering.

• Upvote 2

AMEN!!!!.....+1 for TexasEagle!!!.... :clap:

I wonder if the athletic department periodically reviews the mascot, logo, etc. from a marketing perspective? It makes sense to at least consider changes to update these and other items. I am always shocked at the dearth of quality apparel items available for sale in the bookstore or on-line. Almost all of the (good) items I have come from the athletic department. As I wear them around town, I am invariably asked if I work at ORU. Guess they are not used to seeing ORU fans wearing ORU gear.

I've got a 10 year old rusty bachelors in marketing but I've always thought there is big room for improvement towards making ORU gear more desireable. If you're going to keep "Oral" in the name, embrace it. Stop trying to make "ORU" a nationally recognized brand (because a LOT of people still don't know us by that name) and start writing out "Oral Roberts" on your fan sports gear and your athletic uniforms. A cursive/throwback font would be timeless and go a lot further towards building brand awareness and having a secondary Eagle logo that looks more somber/stoic/fearsome, would probably encourage a lot more people to buy. They could even do more unique marketing around the TU rivalry...similar to the Cubs/Sox Chicago rivalary...have gear that references "South Tulsa" or "Southside Tulsa" etc...

So many things they could do that would make both alumni and local non-alumni be more willing to wear their brand...

Sounds great but the decision maker LOVES the cartoon bird!

Hence the problem.

And, meanwhile, the rest of the world marches on... :@